Saturday, October 21, 2006

Thoughts for Tonight: Part 2 - Marriage


Marriage has been on my mind. Not necessarily the kind of marriage you would think (well, that kind of marriage has been on my mind too, but such thoughts must be shared in person...=)No, this is something a little different. But first I must back up a little bit...

Everyone longs to be known. Everyone experiences those moments where loneliness creeps in like a fog, and isolation prevails despite the crowds. And it is in these moments when I know that life is meant to be lived in relationship. Not just any relationship - This is a call to a relationship with a Creator. See, sometimes it is hard to get beneath the mask. If you're anything like me, you're in relationships with people all over the place, and most of these relationships remain on the surface. Perhaps it must be this way, but sometimes I just want to let everything go and say matter-of-factly, "I think we should walk some of this journey together and dare to risk a little." Does this risk rejection? Absolutely. But who in the world cares? I know pain, and the good thing about knowing pain is that it can make you fearless.

C.S. Lewis had it right when he said that "You have never met a mere mortal". Absolutely true. Every person is a veritable bottomless pit of BEING. And yet I have a suspicion that we look at people and see only the ripples on the surface, assuming we're gazing into a mere pond. How sad and untrue. There is so much life to be lived, if only we would risk and not fear love!

Ach, anyway. Marriage. Yes. It is obviously wholly unfair to ask any one person to be that all-encompassing savior that we need, that Lover who knows everything and keeps on loving. And that is the proposal I am seeing. It is Jesus, asking for my hand, asking me to be faithful and fall in love with him, leaning back into him and letting go. It's one heck of an adventure: there is a dying world out there that needs us...REALLY needs us. Mystery and longing, pain and perhaps even death...A lifelong pursuit of something unseen. But really, is there anything else?

2 comments:

Jon Metzler said...

wow! your thoughts here are absolutely amazing! what you said about it being "wholly unfair to ask any one person to be that all-encompassing savior that we need, that Lover who knows everything and keeps on loving" are really quite profound. i want to be able to love someone with my whole heart but the fact remains that Christ needs to be the Person that i, and whomever i may someday marry is reliant on, not the other person. thanks for your thoughts on this, pretty cool. peace

bugfun said...

Sarah - this is a good way to communicate - just don't stop coming by my office for hugs~ Ginny